A month ago I wrote a post about trying to grow everything. One of those things was propagating my money tree. I’m amazed to say the first set have so far been successful, and I’m on my second lot now! I’ll update this post as time goes on, so please check back if you’re interested to see if my brown thumb manages to keep these alive.
Disclaimer: I don’t have a good track record, so please enter with the lowest of expectations and hopefully then you’ll have a chance of not being disappointed haha.
I originally cut these off around mid-April and after a month the main stem had begun to sprout white stuff. I took off 3 leaf nodes from the main stem. One wilted so I threw it out, but the other two were showing promising signs of rooting – one faster than the other.
There are a number of stems and leaf nodes to keep track of, so I’ll name them all for easier tracking: Stem1 (main stem, which has undeveloped leaf nodes growing.) S1LnA (Stem 1 Leaf Node A, was sunburned but somehow was growing fluffy bits faster than S1LnB.) S1LnB (Stem 1 Leaf Node B, still has healthy, strong leaves. Bottom started to brown though no fluffy bits yet.) S1LnC (Stem 1 Leaf Node C, wilted and died so I threw it out)
After those white fluffy bits started developing, the roots actually began to grow quickly on the main stem.
We went to Trader Joe’s on Friday and bought home a pot of basil. However, it started dying almost as soon as it got home. Turns out supermarket basil is made to look great as a clump but will die shortly because it’s a bunch of individual basil clumps shoved together that will fight for root space and nutrients.
The solution is apparently to separate these clumps into new pots. I tried, but honestly I could not. When I pulled my basil plant out, the roots had woven themselves around many times tightly. I didn’t want to destroy all the roots, so gently loosened the soil as much as I could and planted the entire thing into my largest pot.
It turns out you can also propagate basil easily, so I trimmed off some of the stems and stuck them in water. They were dying anyway so may as well try. I’ll let you know how they get on. Check back for updates!
It began with randomly trying to propagate my money tree. We’d just re-organised my desk area and I put my little money tree nodes into a mason jar and put it by the windowsill (you can see it in the background of these photos).
Unfortunately, being so close to the window burned some of its leaves because the sun gets very strong towards the afternoon, so I moved it to the top of my bookshelf instead.
I thought it’d died. But lo and behold! It’s starting to grow roots! The main stem has started to grow a whole host of roots, and even the leaf nodes have started to show signs of sprouting roots.